Garmin Forerunner 205 and Forerunner 305 NOW Shipping at Amazon
One of the bigger launches this year will be the launch of theGarmin Forerunner 205 and Garmin Forerunner 305, as they bring a couple of great upgrades to the fitness GPS market. With the reconfiguration of the unit to make it more watch-like, and the inclusion of the SiRF star III highly sensitive GPS receiver chipset, the unit looks like it will be a winner (See our explanation on the SiRF star III chipset, and why it's important). The upgrade to the Forerunner 305 also includes a better fitting heart rate monitor which will be another welcome improvement in the product line. The inclusion of the heart rate monitor is the main difference between the Forerunner 205 vs. Forerunner 305. We are using the Forerunner 205 now and have it in-house for a review - ReadMore.
The older generation Forerunner 201 and 301 have been perennial favorites in the market. I have a Forerunner 201 and I like it. I got it because I liked the GPS aspects of it, but both my wife and I like it for the instantaneous read on our performance while exercising.
Both the Garmin Forerunner 205 and the Garmin Forerunner 305 are available for NOW from Amazon, with FREE SHIPPING. Amazon was going to originally have it available in the middle of February, but pushed the shipment date off until March 1st. The Forerunner 305 is already one of the top GPS sellers at Amazon despite the fact it’s only available for pre-ordering for a few weeks. Amazon has had a couple of false starts on delivering the Forerunner 305, and has pushed "availability" dates off a few times. Let's hope this one sticks.
Read More in: Fitness GPS | GPS News
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit GPS Lodge for all the latest news.
Posted by Scott Martin at March 20, 2006 6:17 AM
Great Concept if garmin can make it work properly.
• Calorie calculator is completely wrong – I tried communicating with customer support – they emailed this absurd answer about not resetting the workout.
• Actual Speed (running and bike) is inaccurate. I have a few times done a 3 mile run on a track at 7mpm, 7:30 and 8:00 mpm. Without exception my speed during the run was wrong although all quarter mile times were constant. Interestingly enough the pace for every mile was only off approximately 10 seconds. Same issue with biking.
• In case you are training for ironman, do not expect the battery to last for more than six hours. HR data the most irregular I have ever seen.
• Best of luck trying to reach support by phone or email. “May the Force be with you”
• I am returning mine asap.