GPS Steals and Deals - 5/14
Things are starting to settle in for the summer, if you are going to upgrade on features above the base models, I recommend spending money on Text to Speech and Widescreen units if you can afford it. That puts you into a unit like the Nuvi 260W, or the TomTom XL-S. You can always move up from there for additional features like traffic, gas prices, more map coverage (i.e. Europe), optimized multi-stop routing, etc. See below for prices and for links to reviews on a lot of these models.
Standard Screens - 3.5-inch
- TomTom ONE - $143 and Free Shipping at Amazon; Entry Level TomTom with Maps of North America, no Text to Speech.
- Garmin Nuvi 200 at Amazon - $159 No Text to Speech, Continental US Maps, solid interface and routing. See My Full Review - Nuvi 200 for more info. The Nuvi 200 is also available exclusively at BestBuy in Pink or in Blue.
- Garmin Nuvi 260 at Amazon - $221 Text to Speech, Maps of North America, solid interface. Same quality routing as Nuvi 200, just adds more maps and text to speech. At this point, I am recommending the Nuvi 260 with its updated interface, newer design and slightly lower price; for more see: Compare the Nuvi 260 vs. the Nuvi 350.
- Nuvi 350 at Amazon $230; down this week - Still a top seller with North American Maps, and Text-to-Speech. Want Bluetooth? Get the Nuvi 360 that adds Bluetooth Handsfree, for two bucks more at - $244.
- TomTom ONE 130 and TomTom 130S The New TomTom ONEs are out and shipping. The TomTom ONE 130 ($199) offers solid navigator with MapShare and maps of North America. The TomTom ONE 130S ($249) adds Text to Speech. Both come with the fold flat EasyPort mount.
- Garmin Nuvi 260W - $266 at Amazon; down $80 in the last three weeks; Text to Speech and a dead easy interface.
- Nuvi 200W at Amazon $202 - No Text to Speech, Continental US Maps. See My Full Review - Nuvi 200W. Also at Staples for $199.
- Nuvi 660 at Amazon $338; still the best seller at Amazon - Text to Speech, North American Maps, TMC Traffic Capability included. See My Full Review - Nuvi 660
- TomTom ONE XL S at Amazon $243 - Text to Speech, North American Maps, MapShare. I think the Text to Speech is worth the extra money, but if you don't need it, the TomTom ONE XL is only $209. Also available at BestBuy bricks and mortar for $189.
- Nuvi 750 - $372 at Amazon - New thin design with Text to Speech and Maps of North America. Route Optimization - plug in multiple stops and let the unit optimize the route for fastest planning.
- Nuvi 760 - $415 at Amazon - Down a bit again this week. New thin design with Text to Speech and Maps of North America. Route Optimization - plug in multiple stops and let the unit optimize the route for fastest planning, adds Bluetooth handsfree and built-in TMC traffic. See My Full Review of the Nuvi 760.
- Garmin Nuvi 780 - $518 - Has MSN Direct 2, with traffic and gas prices sent to your GPS. See My Full Review of the Nuvi 780 for more information.
- TomTom GO 730 - $446 -New IQ Routes, Text to Speech, and more. Maps of North America.
It's Running Season and for many, it's time to hit the roads. I am starting to watch the prices on the Forerunners. Steady price these days.
- Garmin Forerunner 405 is available for pre-order - the watch-like GPS enabled fitness device has a smaller design with all kinds of functionality, including wireless sharing.
- Forerunner 305 - $214 at Amazon - Heart Rate Monitor with wrist-mounted GPS Receiver, tracks distance and keeps your speed and pace. Syncs to computer for training records.
- Forerunner 205 - $149 at Amazon - Wrist-mounted GPS Receiver, no Heart Rate Monitor. Tracks distance and keeps your speed and pace. Syncs to computer for training records.
Read More in: GPS Rebates and Sales
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit GPS Lodge for all the latest news.
Posted by Scott Martin at May 18, 2008 7:48 AM