Update your Garmin Maps - Lifetime Subscription
Garmin has a pretty sweet deal on maps - here it is: Pay one price and get four map updates a year for the life of the device. - What's even better is that it's about $97, at this writing, when you order it off of Amazon (when you include shipping) - this same update is $119 on Garmin's website - a $23 savings.
Buying this is easy.
- Go to the Garmin Website to make sure your unit is compatible - Click on View compatible Products.
- Order the "Gift Card" item off Amazon - and get it in a few days; it has codes on it to validate a download.
- Go to MyGarmin to log in or create an account.
- Connect your GPS via USB cord, then go to the website on the back of the card and start the validation process; it takes a little time, but it's easy.
- Download the file - it can be BIG so this will take a while the first time you update.
- Open the downloaded file and it will install and validate on your GPS.
More information on the Download Instructions (PDF Link) from Garmin detail the process a bit more.
Please note that this is a Lifetime subscription that is linked to one and only one GPS through the serial number. Sorry, it's not a household license that gives you the ability to load the maps on your Nuvi 250, then the Nuvi 265W, your Colorado 400t, and your friend's Nuvi too!! (Too bad, I know).
You can update your maps on your GPS up to four times per year for the lifetime of the unit - pretty good deal.
At Amazon - Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates for detailed maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
Read More in: Garmin GPS News
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit GPS Lodge for all the latest news.
Posted by Scott Martin at June 6, 2009 5:40 PM
I have preordered an Oregon 550. Once it arrives I'll want routable maps.
Do I buy nuMaps, or do I have to buy City Navigator North America NT first, then nuMaps to keep THAT updated?
This really, really, really seems like the hard, expensive, stupid and license-encumbered way to do this when there's much better options available that DO let you share it with as many units as you would like. Try visiting http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php instead.