Top 5 Reasons Why the Garmin Nuvi 255W is the Best GPS Choice for Most Users
The Garmin Nuvi 255W has been a solid performer since its introduction two years ago, and its feature set combined with the lack of cutting edge expensive features make it the right choice for most GPS users out there. Here are five reasons why:
1. Big Name Maker - Garmin is one of the pioneers in navigation and one of the largest globally. It sells a quality product, has the support infrastructure and will be there to provide technical expertise, product support, software updates and new map releases when you need them. In short a name you can trust. they aren't the only ones out there, but it should be a factor you need to consider.
2. Text to Speech - it speaks road names and tells you what street to turn onto. It makes a difference and most new GPS models have them, but many lower priced models don't. It makes a difference when you need it most, when you are navigating in areas you aren't familiar with.
3. Widescreen (4.3-inch) unit - The Nuvi 255W is in the widescreen class offering 70% more screen real estate than the standard 3.5-inch models. This provides much easier data input (bigger keys to type on and a QWERTY keyboard layout that smaller screens can't offer (They offer the frustrating ABC layout), and let's face it, a bigger screen is better when traveling down the road at 40+MPH. Some of the newer 5-inch screens are great too, but cost significantly more.....(see #5 below).
4. "Just Right" Feature Set - It's not too little, but more importantly it's not too much. There are newer models that have traffic alerts, connected search, and more that aren't on the list of must-haves for most users. More features, require paying more, and most people aren't into it these days.
5. Price - With the most popular spot on Amazon's list of car navigators going to the Nuvi 255W most of the time in the last year( Top GPS Sellers at Amazon), the volume is driving the price down to a very reasonable level - about $110 these days. For most people that's an affordable level. If not, consider the refurbished one at about $90. If you can wait, Amazon offers free shipping on these units. This is usually at or well below a competitive model's price for similar features.
If you are a die-hard commuter (needs traffic updates), RV-Driver (Need larger screen), or someone who wouldn't get caught dead with a two-year old piece of technology, then the Nuvi 255W is probably not for you. For the rest of the world, it is probably just right.
Available at Amazon
- Garmin Nuvi 255W
or Garmin Nuvi 255W (Factory Refurbished)
Read More in: Garmin GPS News
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit GPS Lodge for all the latest news.
Posted by Scott Martin at August 2, 2010 10:47 AM