February 2, 2012
MapMyRide (and MapMyRun, etc) have new Facebook Timeline Apps that will help you track your fitness on your Facebook pages…. while bragging to others about your exercise prowess.
You'll be able to track your progress and get monthly reports. It's like a little web App right where you
waste er ah, spend all of your time anyway.
Read More in: Fitness GPS
January 30, 2012
Definitely a deal to check out - 5-inch screen AND it's connected for local search, HD traffic and more. This TomTom GO LIVE 1535 has local search powered by Google, plus a suite of helper apps that are targeted to making your travel easier, including: Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Expedia. The GO LIVE services offer HD Traffic, fuel prices, and voice recognition and Bluetooth Handsfree capability. The maps of Mexico, the US, and Canada are includes and come with a lifetime upgrade package - no more severely out of date maps!
Anyway, I thought it was a good enough deal to buy one myself to check out. I will have some posts on it in the coming weeks.
At Amazon Deal of the Day - TomTom GO LIVE 1535
Read More in: GPS Rebates and Sales
January 24, 2012
We've written about EveryTrail and other outdoor GPS Apps for smartphones before, but the makers of EveryTrail have what I would call an Urban Hiking Guide or more normally called a City Guide which are available for a handful of cities. Since they were bought by TripAdvisor, the hybrid of the two properties had to crank out an App like this; walking style, Points of internets, and guided tours.
The App uses your smartphone GPS and compass to use location based services and offer you insight about what's around you. Not only can you get information about places like restaurants around you, but you can also get city facts written by professional editors so you can enjoy your self-guided tour around the neighborhood or city.
Once you get the App you can download additional content (iPhone), including maps, photos of points of interest, reviews, and more. Android appears to have an App per city; download each individually and off you go.
The current North American Cities Include:
- Hawaii - several cities across the islands
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C., as well as a few European and Asian cities.
At iTunes for iPhone and the Android Market
Read More in: Mobile Phone GPS
January 23, 2012
The Supreme Court submitted a unanimous decision today rejecting the premise that putting a GPS tracker on someone's car doesn't require a court warrant. They feel it does. Drug dealers offer a sigh of relief, until the courts step in and signs that warrant, then it's back to the investigation.
While the little black box attached to the underside of a car is in question, it also brings into question the use of onboard GPS data tracking too - How about access to your OnStar tracks - yea, that would need a warrant. (BTW, just because you didn't pay your subscription, don't think that they can't track you. They can.)
For more information on the case - See the NYT
Read More in: GPS News
January 14, 2012
TomTom is going for a new three tiered line-up approach to try to differentiate the features and make sure that the consumer value perception is clear and concise. I like the move, and hopefully the buying public thinks it's a good move too.Their "Mission Statements" for each tier are:
Features of each Tier will include:
- Start: The entry-level, and budget-friendly, Start line offers an easy solution for new drivers by providing essential A-to-B navigation on a dedicated device. Start offers access to the world’s most complete and accurate database of maps, as well as features such as lane guidance and spoken street names that help make navigation easier and less stressful. Additionally, the product line offers new features for an entry-level TomTom line, such as access to nationwide fuel prices.
- VIA: The mid-range VIA line offers a stress-free navigation solution for the busy person always on-the-go, such as a multi-tasking parent. With additional safety features such as Bluetooth hands-free calling, voice recognition, and advanced lane guidance, drivers are able to navigate through life while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
- GO LIVE: The faster GO LIVE line offers the daily commuter all the features of the VIA and real-time information with access to connected, LIVE Services. Featuring the award-winning TomTom HD Traffic and branded Travel Apps, users can read restaurant reviews on Yelp® and TripAdvisor®, find hotel availability with Expedia® or automatically tweet their arrival time on Twitter without ever leaving the car. Additionally, they’ll have access to live fuel prices, weather forecasts, and local search.
- START: Lifetime Traffic Updates, Lifetime Map Updates, Spoken Street Names, Lane Guidance, IQ Routes, Maps of US and CAN, 7 Million+ Points of Interest, Essential Routing, Fuel Prices
- VIA: Lifetime traffic Updates, Lifetime Map Updates, Spoken Street Names, Advanced Lane Guidance, IQ Routes, Maps of US, CAN, MEX*, 7 Million+ Points of Interest, Instant Routing Bluetooth® Hands-free Calling, Voice Recognition*, Enhanced Graphics, Slim Design and Integrated Mount
- GO LIVE: TomTom HD Traffic, Lifetime Map Updates, Spoken Street Names, Advanced Lane Guidance, IQ Routes, Maps of US, CAN, MEX, 7 Million+ Points of Interest, Dynamic, Instant Routing, Bluetooth® Hands-free Calling, Voice Recognition, Enhanced Graphics, Slim Design and Integrated Mount, Click-and-Go Mount, Capacitive Touch Screen, LIVE Services incl. Fuel Prices, Travel Apps, Roadside Assistance
It will be interesting to see what models they stick into each tier. Expect these new units to start showing up this Spring.
Read More in: CES 2012 | TomTom GPS News
Lightsquared was dealt a setback again this week as a government advisory board sent a letter to the Commerce Department indicating that the Lightsquared plans for nationwide high speed wireless broadband would significantly interfere with the GPS system and saw no easy way to fix the problems.
The group based these conclusions on separate tests by the FAA, the group concluded that the original and even the altered plans by Lightsquared would "cause harmful interference to many GPS receivers."
This has been going on for a while, and we recently reported that one government test indicated that the Lightsquared plans would interfere with 75% of GPS receivers, and affecting up to 100 square miles of newly lost and directionless GPS receivers. Via WSJ
Read More in: GPS News
January 10, 2012
It sounds like Magellan is upping their game and designed a pretty feature-packed value-priced navigator in the Magellan eXplorist 110. With a color sunlight readable screen, a US road network in the basemap, paperless geocaching, and various track laying capabilities, you'll be pretty set for a good outing.
The eXplorist 110 also features a suspend mode that powers down everything expect the GPS tracking so that the unit consumes a very small amount of power; Magellan expects 2-AA batteries to last up to 18 hours.
On top of the US maps, the eXplorist has Magellan's World Edition map, which includes a road network of more than 200 countries.
Available Now at Amazon - the Magellan eXplorist 110
Full Press Release Follows…….
Continue reading: "Magellan Announces the eXplorist 110 Handheld GPS"
Read More in: CES 2012 | Magellan GPS News
Just about every day, it seems like some App, website or refrigerator goes "Social" with some feature that seems utterly useless for all but the three people who were involved in the project and their best friends. TomTom is bucking the trend here and is in fact adding a useful feature that wraps the TomTom navigation experience around both Facebook and twitter to enable you to do a couple of useful things:
1) Tweet/Post to FB or text where you are going - got friends following you, and maybe heading out to? Tweet your destination and maybe catch a few friends there.
2) Navigate to where your friends just checked into, a "Location" or an Event - yes; you are meeting them out and they just checked in. Pop open TomTom for iPhone and navigate there with this integration.
The new features will soon be available, and will be a free upgrade for current users of the TomTom iPhone App. Expect the new version 1.10 to appear in the iTunes store before the end of Q1.
Read More in: CES 2012 | TomTom GPS News
TomTom has inked a deal with mobile phone maker Samsung to provide maps, traffic feeds, 3D City buildings and features as well as Points of interest and Speed Camera locations.
Recall that TomTom owns a heavyweight in the map making world, TeleAtlas, and Samsung is looking for a global partner to help them deliver content to their line-up with limited complexity. The new Wave3 smartphone will have the new TomTom content on it.
Read More in: CES 2012
January 9, 2012
Garmin just unveiled their new Nuvi 3500 line, the newest top-of-the-line set of models designed to take you from point A to point B in a very geeky, very smart way. The nuvi 3500 line is connected, in a way, through your Android phone and Garmin's just-announced connectivity App, while also offering top end features such as:
- Newest Guidance 3.0 Navigation Engine - faster, more intuitive routing, with MyTrends capability to learn your favorite routes
- Junction View Exclusive Database - over 60,000 complex intersections highlighted and detailed to offer clear routing demonstrations
- 3D Digital Traffic (available) - Receive updates every 30 seconds and up to 10 faster than the older TMC systems. Uses a multidimensional feed of real-time traffic data from quality sources including other Garmin nüvi owners, cellphone users, radio feeds, news stations, historical traffic data and fixed traffic sensors on major roads.
The new Nuvi 3500 series will include:
- Nuvi 3550LM - $369 - lifetime map updates, and premium navigation features
- Nuvi 3590 LMT - $399 - adds 3D traffic over HD radio spectrum, voice activated navigation lifetime map updates and Smartphone link
Both will be available February 2012.
Full Press Release follows after the jump......
Continue reading: "Garmin Nuvi 3500 Series - Top of the Line Wonders: Nuvi 3550LM and 3590LMT"
Read More in: CES 2012 | Garmin GPS News
Last 100+ Entries
Complete list in the News Archives